2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Keni's second Follow-up

Keni had her second MRI follow-up. She tolerated the sedation very well and woke up very quickly. It may have had something to do with the fact that we knew she didn't want the popsicles commonly offered afterwards. She told us last time that she didn't want to wake up because she didn't want it. She likes orange jello and Cheetos so naturally that's what she got. :)

We went to Dr. Brockmeyer's office after, Keni was awake and alert enough to go. He said everything looked good. He talked about doing MRIs every 3-4 months for a year, then 6 months, and then only one a year after that. We walked out happy and hungry. We let Keni choose where she wants to eat and it's always Panda Express. She loves the orange chicken. We have to order her the one entree because the kids meal is never enough. 

A week  and a half later, Joe got a call from Brockmeyer's office. It was his nurse saying, "They met at tumor board and are concerned about changes andconsidering surgery." Joe didn't know what to say. He was shocked since the office visit seemed to go so well and nothing of concern was mentioned. Or was it. After the fact-- I remember as we were walking out Dr. Brockmeyer saying that he was going to take the scans to tumor board the next day and show the scans. Hmmm. He didn't act concerned though. But duh! Why else would he take it to tumor board unless there was concern. Oh well. Live and learn. Bless the sweet nurse's heart. She didn't know what to say after that. "Well... maybe it is best if I have the doctor call you." Yep, you are absolutely right! 

Long story short they were concerned with areas of the MRI. It just acted funny. Sometimes it would enhance and sometimes it wouldn't. It was getting bigger. (Which naturally, means it is probably cancerous, which means chemo/radiation. Ugh)

We scheduled the surgery because it was urgent (but not emergent) for the next week, October 28. Joe talked with Dr Brockmeyer about waiting and getting another follow-up scan instead.  He recommended getting the surgery sooner than later because he felt was going to be needed regardless.  I guess 1 week's notice is better than the last time when we had 5 minutes. Honestly, I don't know what was better though. Having to think about it all week was terrible!

It was so sad telling Keni. She didn't get it. She kept saying, "But I'm not sick anymore." I'm not dizzy and I don't throw up." All things considering she handled it extremely well. I'm grateful to have Primary Childrens Hospital so close! She remembered all of the fun things she got to do and luckily not a lot of the bad. Obviously we focused on that. 


No comments: