2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sick Keni

For quite some time Keni has been sick. At first we didn't think much about her randomly throwing up. We would always find a way to justify it. We thought she was carsick or maybe just nervous about the upcoming move to Utah. Well it continued once we moved. And it started to get worse. She would throw up maybe once a month in the beginning but it continually progressed where it was at least three times a week if not more. She started to complain that her belly hurt too. We finally gave in and made an appointment to see a doctor.
Dr. Woodward thought it might be reflux or stomach irritation and told us to give her Prevacid and keep a daily log of her eating. He didn't seem too worried. We went on our way. I was faithful in keeping a detailed food log. I logged what she ate, when she took her medicines, when she pooped. I mean everything. She didn't seem to be getting any better. Quite frankly she was getting worse. She started complaining of her neck, couldn't sleep, (which remember this is my very, and I mean very, good sleeper) didn't want to play with friends, didn't want to go to story hour or primary. We needed to take action. We scheduled an appointment with a Peds GI specialist at Primary Children's. But oh how lovely. Our appointment isn't for another 3 months. Awesome. My kid can barely function but yet I have to wait 'just a few months.' Luckily the docs here pulled a few strings so we could get her in the next week.
Dr. Harnsberger, at PMCM, was great. No fluff, but nice. Just the way I like it. She suggested going off milk products for ten days to see, if by chance, would help. She also said we needed to give Keni a good cleanse. We were to give her 4 tablespoons of PEG (Miralax) the first day and 1 tablespoon for 9 more. Holy Cow. That's a lot. We are not strangers to giving Keni PEG. For a normal use for her we give her 1/2 tablespoon for a couple days. I thought it was going to be horrible. I prepared Keni for the worst, thinking it was going to be horrific for her. It wasn't though. Not bad at all luckily. The bad news is that the cleanse didn't seem to do anything either. Boo! So back we went 2 weeks later for a scope.
The scope showed nothing really. The only thing they could find is that Keni is a bit Zinc deficient. We were suppose to try that for one to two months. Dr. Harnsberger wasn't convinced that it would change anything but did say she had seen a handful of patients in her career that it helped. Wrong again. After one month we could tell it was not getting better.
Keni was declining fast.We kept talking about what to do but the Dr. Woodward didn't even know what avenue to explore. Keni was a mystery to all. Here's the thing though. The last few things that were happening were definitely not right, and we knew we had to do something immediately.
She was waking up every hour, if not half hour, every night. That was the first concerning thing. The second concerning thing was that on one of the nights she came in to our bedroom but she tripped and fell because she was so dizzy. Then the next time she woke up Joe hurried in to her room. It was the saddest thing ever. She was so disoriented that she had her hands up on the walls scrambling trying to get her balance so she could get out of bed. And lastely, she had been lounging on the couch for the last two weeks not wanting to do a single thing. Sometimes you could tell that she so badly wanted to play with Brock but didn't have the energy. She would grab something she knew he liked, toss it to him, and go straight back to the couch or her bed.
We decided to make an appointment with Dr. Kwak, a pediatrician in Vernal, to see if he had any ideas. After all, he is a supposid genius and nobody knows why he left Primary Children's to come to Vernal. The appointment was set for Saturday, May 25, at ten. After Joe gave her pages and pages of history he decided we needed to get an MRI and CT to rule out any masses in Keni's head.
Since it was a holiday weekend we couldn't schedule anything until Tuesday. We were hoping to get the images in Roosavelt. After trying all morning to figure out if they could do it, we were finally told they couldn't. We were bummed. We just waisted a whole day since now Ashley Valley can't get us in until tomorrow. (Which is pretty amazing that they could even get us in that fast. It's usually a week wait time.)

No comments: