We made it to Salt Lake and are getting settled in very nicely. I can't say the move was smooth sailing but it could have been much worse. My parents came on Thursday night so we could load everything up on Friday and then leave early Saturday for Salt Lake. I had to work until noon on Friday but I figured we could start loading after I got home. Nope, not at all what happened. They started loading the trailer at 7a.m. I got a call from Joe at work around 9:30 saying they were done except for the little things. What, really? What were we going to do all day and night if our furniture and belongings are all packed? We decided to head out a day early. We went to lunch and then went back and cleaned the apartment. Joe went ahead of my mom and me so he could get our key to the apartment. My dad, who was pulling the enormous trailer, caravaned with us. Everything was fine until a little before the Brigham City rest stop. My car started acting really funny and then it lost power. No lights came on, no burnt smell, no nothing. We called my dad immediately and told him to turn around and come back to us. We were hoping it was just out of gas or oil. Some easy fix would have been nice but it wasn't. We called my uncle Clint to help tow the car to the rest stop over night until we decided what to do with it. In the meantime, while I was stranded, Joe called and said he was in Salt Lake but he couldn't get in the apartment. The key was suppose to be with campus police because the housing office closes on the weekends. Apparently, someone dropped the ball on that one though. After calling around Joe finally got someone to believe that he really was suppose to move in and he got the key. Oh and another sad thing- Keith and Janice drove to Salt Lake to help us unload the trailer. Too bad we didn't get there until 11:30 p.m. and there was no way we were unloading at the time of night. What a wasted trip for them.
Saturday morning came around too fast. I think we were all exhausted from the night before. Or maybe it was that we were dreading hauling all of the stuff up to the top floor on narrow stairs. Either way, we got everything unloaded and a lot of stuff put away. Later in the day, Joe and my dad went to Brigham again to get the car. Luckily the trailer that my dad brought to help us move fit a car in it. They loaded the car and took it to Preston so it could get fixed. My mom and I stayed back so we could get more unpacking finished. Before my parents left on Sunday we had the majority of the stuff put away and even had some wall hangings hung.
I wish the story ended there but no such luck. On Tuesday we went to lunch with some friends and decided to go the Park City to enjoy the Outlet mall. Just as we were coming up the hill to take our exit our other car started acting funny. And quit! This car wasn't as big of a deal because it was a piecer anyways but the stressful part was that we didn't want to put another dime into the car. We didn't want to pay for towing it or anything. We called around to see how much we could get for scrap metal but decided to put it on KSL.com to see what we could get for it. Within 3 minutes we had it sold. Luckily Trent and Jess knew someone that could come and get us. While we were waiting we walked to the Outlet mall and shopped for a while.
So there you have it. Pretty eventful. But it could have been much worse. I just hope all of those things weren't a sign that we should stay in Boise. :D
Oh ps- We really like our apartment. For not seeing what it looked like before we moved in I didn't have too high of expectations but it will work just fine. It's nice to know we are content with it and can say we will be living here for two years.
Oh and-- We really are official Utahn's now. We got our drivers licenses yesterday.
1 comment:
I think it definitely means you were meant to stay here in good ol Boise, ID. Don't you all miss us? It's a sign. Things will get better soon. I'm sure a nice cruise will help out a lot!
Post a Comment