2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Poppy's Birth Story

The day finally arrived to have this little bundle of joy. :) I've been terrible about writing/documenting anything about this pregnancy but I did take pictures. It seems like this pregnancy was a lot harder than my first two right from the get-go. My first trimester I was always super tired, and although I never threw up, I had an awful taste in my mouth. I later found out that it was because of heart burn. My second trimester was okay but I was always super moody. I felt like I was ornery and yelling at the kids for something. And then my third  trimester I was tired and fat and miserable. :) I got a lot bigger with this pregnancy. No, I'm not saying I was huge, because I wasn't. BUT I was tiny with Brock and small with Keni so even being normal sized pregnant was more difficult for me. I didn't know what people meant when they said they couldn't bend down or see their toes until this pregnancy. haha. Thank goodness Keni was around to pick everything up for me. 

Anyways back to the joyous day... 

I had to check-in at the hospital at 5am. One of my super kind friends came over to stay with my other kids until they woke up and then she got them ready and took them to her house for the day until my mom got here. Once we got all checked-in I got my IV. Good grief, that was a nightmare! The first nurse tried three times and couldn't get it. Not to mention she slapped my vein so hard I seriously almost punched her in the face. After her third try she stormed out and said she only tries three times before she gives up. Well thank goodness! The second nurse was much nicer and way more calm. She had to try twice but she wasn't so worked up about it. After that miserable hour it was already 6:30 so I think all the nurses felt a little rushed to get my blood work done and start monitoring me. After my blood work was taken care of I was wheeled down to the OR. I always get super cold and I'm always nervous which means I shake uncontrollably. I don't know why I get nervous about the spinal block. It is always way easier than getting my IV. Seriously, I hardly felt the needle! After I was numb I got my catheter and we were well on our way to having a baby! :)

Everything went fine during the surgery. No scares or complications. I did feel like I couldn't breathe when they were getting ready to push the baby out. I mean, the attending doctor, although he is short, is no small guy. With the amount of pressure he put on me I'm surprised I still have a rib cage. But it was worth it when I heard a little cry. She was here! She didn't cry much at first but after 20 seconds she didn't hold back. 

The worst part about a c-section is this: You still have to get sewn back up and your arms are still out to your side so you can't even hold the baby. Joe brought her over and put her by my face and I did get to look at her but it still isn't the same. After I got to look at her Joe went with the nurses to give her, her first bath and weigh/measure her. I got stitched back up and we met back up in recovery. 

Everything after that was just the usual hospital stay. Keni and Brock couldn't come because of RSV. (Yes, a very late season). That was kind of a bummer. Joe did go get them and let them look through the window in the nursery but it was definitely not the same. By Saturday I was ready to get home. I was excited to see Keni and Brock and I wanted them to see Poppy.

They have been really good with her. Keni wants to hold her all the time. Even if there is a million other fun things going on she is still content to sit and hold her. Brock really likes her too. He LOVES to give her knuckles and insists on doing so every night before bed. He likes to get on her blanket, and in her face, and talk to her. He thinks it's so funny when she accidentally touches him. haha.





No comments: