2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Gratitude-- and a heavy heart (Keni's second follow-up MRI)

This past weekend was Keni's MRI. I know I always say this, but seriously, we LOVE Primary Children's Hospital (formerly Primary Childrens Medical Center). They are so good at what they do and it is not traumatic for Keni at all. I think she kind of enjoys it-- maybe that's because she gets to pick where to eat lunch afterwards. Either way, it's a win-win. For her. I'm rather sick of Panda Express every.single.time.

Enough with the fluff though, right? You want to know MRI results, I get it. The results look great. Other than a sinus infection. :) There is still the small piece of tumor they watch but it hasn't grown since the second surgery. Woot. Woot! They told us that Keni can now get MRIs every 6 months instead of 3. Bitter-sweet. Glad they feel confident enough to go every 6 months but it is nice and reassuring when we go every 3 months.

Oh and I guess I forgot to mention that Keni woke up (sort of) during the MRI. Joe heard her crying but waited to go in because the nurses usually do a good job at calming her or whatever is needed. He decided to finally go in and by the time he was in the MRI room she had taken off her oxygen and had rolled over.  Haha. She was probably trying to crawl out of that thing. :) And just FYI, she doesn't remember it.

Joe and Keni rode Trax since it was going to be rush hour when they needed to leave. Keni liked it. And sadly, no interesting people on, it was mostly just business people. :)

Keni is doing remarkable. Man, she has changed over the last year. It's been so fun to see her progress. It's partly because of age but I think it's also because she feels so so so so (etc.) much better! She is outgoing. She always wants to play. Loves to play outside with friends and says she's bored when nobody is around to play. She jumps now and skips. Just her overall physical activity has come leaps and bounds basically. She still loves to read books but that's not all she wants to do now.

I feel blessed. I feel like we are so lucky it was only a brain tumor. I know it could have been much worse, even a food allergy. That would be life-long, ya know? I know we aren't out of the woods yet and the tumor can grow over time but we will cross that path IF it ever happens.

I met a mom who's little girl dances with Keni and we have become acquaintances/friends. When she found out about Keni's second surgery she was genuinely concerned. She cared. Really cared. She wanted to help in any way. Guess what. Now one of her daughers has a tumor. But not the 'good' 'easy' kind. It's serious. It's funny how everything can be relative. Yes, all brain surgery is serious. But in retrospect Keni's was no big deal-- no serious side affects afterwards.

My heart is breaking. Like I cried. Maybe it's hormones but it hits so close to home. This little girl's tumor is a Trigeminal tumor. Super rare and lots of permanent side affects-- hearing loss, eye sight issues, sense of taste and smell issues, face numb and tingly. Oh did I mention this beautiful girl is only 8. Surgery is the only option. But to make matters worse, the doctors are waiting 3 months to see what will happen. The waiting game SUCKS! I think it was a blessing in disguise that we only had 5 minutes to get on the road for Keni's. And only a week for her second surgery.

Why were we so blessed? I'm not complaining in the least but sometimes I just feel unworthy to receive such wonderful blessings. We made out like kings/queens. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I do. I know he knows each of us. I believe in his timing. I believe he knows more than we do and I trust him. But freak, sometimes it's hard. It's hard to wrap my brain around it all. I know prayer is real. I felt them. And even more humbling-- Keni felt them! Please pray for this little girl. She and her family will also feel them. I promise.

3 comments:

Tawny said...

I'm so glad her MRI went well. She is so cute and sweet! I love having her in my class! I'm so sad about your friend though. I will definitely keep their family and daughter in my prayers!

Unknown said...

You and Joe are such wonderful people and you deserve all of the blessings that you have received! I'm so glad that Keni is doing so well. We are excited to meet your new baby girl someday soon. :)

Unknown said...

Powerful words, Kelsie. Yep, you made me cry. You have a good heart.