2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

done.and.done

...with nursing that is.

Last night I finally decided to start weaning Keni. It's bitter-sweet. It is almost time anyways but then again, I still have one more month. I've made it a few days short of 11, yes 11, months. When I was pregnant I was scared for two things: 1. The epidural and 2. Breastfeeding. Both of which have been accomplished.

My original goal was to make it six months. Then when I reached six months I figured I would try nine months, then 10. {{Although I have NEVER intended to go past 12 months. Never, EVER}} I really have loved nursing. There's just something about it that I can't really describe. It's just...hmm... it really has worked for us. I like that I have to stop everything and just focus on Keni. I have to take a break from whatever I'm doing and tend to her. No multi-tasking. It's that instant bond I have with her. (Not that I can't have that with the bottle but whatev) There's also the part about nursing for obvious reasons. Formula is expensive. Let's face it. My breastmilk is free. Here's the thing though. Recently, I have felt like nursing has been a bit of a sacrifice. I got sick one Sunday and couldn't eat or drink anything and my milk depleted a lot. I've had to eat oatmeal for breakfast every.single.day. Not the good flavored packets either. It has to be the real deal. A sacrifice indeed. Anyone that knows me knows that I love me some cereal. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Unfortunately, Joe cannot and therefore we eat other things. Also, Keni has 8 teeth people. Do you know what that does to your boobies! Let's just say it does a number on them and leave it at that.

I've been tossing this idea around for awhile now. Ever since I got sick a month ago, actually. I didn't like the idea. Last night though it just seemed to make sense. I've been having to supplement with a bottle for the last two feedings of the day anyways why not just give a bottle from the get-go. I'm still going to nurse two times a day for now and give a bottle two times a day. Then, next month I can stop nursing altogether and it will be a smooth transition.

Ahh. It feels good to have made the decision. And what perfect timing too. Off I go to Red Mango tonight with some girls... and guess what! Joe can just give her a bottle. I could really get used to this! :]

3 comments:

Suzi Q said...

This is awesome. I literally stopped nursing Cody on his 1st Birthday, but by then I was only giving him a morning feeding. Bottles the rest of the time. He BIT A LOT. I was glad to have my boobies back. Now that I am nursing again, I can't wait for my nipples to feel better......

Krista & Tyler said...

So fun to hang out last night/yesterday! Congrats on the feeling good about your decision. Yay!

Paul and Katie said...

I know what you mean about nursing. I really loved it and was so sad when Lily stopped nursing. Well all eating actually, but I loved it way more than bottles and expensive formula.I was so scared before but I loved it when I actually did it. Way to make it that long!