2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Keni's Birth Story

On Saturday night, October 3, I finally felt my first contraction. I was so excited considering I was suppose to have Keni 3 days previously. The contractions were still way far apart and not consistent at all but I didn't care. It was something. It was a relief to know that my body was doing what it was suppose to do. I had been scheduled to be induced on Wednesday but I really wanted to go on my own if I could. Sunday morning we went about our day watching General Conference and hanging out with just the two of us, Joe and me, knowing it would probably be one of our last days as just us. It was during the second session of conference that I knew that the pain was real contractions. I was so excited as was Joe. He kept saying he didn't need to do homework because we would be in the hospital for the next few days. As the night progressed so did my contractions. I wanted to be sure that I was dilated to at least a three before I went in to the hospital though because I had a fear of going in and them sending me home. That night we played a few games trying to get me to relax a little. We finally started timing the contractions at about 9 p.m. They were about 15-20 minutes apart so I still had a ways to go. It was funny because as the contractions got stronger Joe would ask, "Is that one?" and I would always respond, "No, well maybe, well I don't know... Ya, ya this is definitely a real one." I should have just said yes but I didn't want him to time the wrong thing. Again, I didn't want to go to the hospital too early. Anyways, at midnight we decided to go to bed. I warned Joe that I would probably get up when I had contractions because it made them worse when I just laid in the bed. I didn't want to bug him so I told him I would go to the other side of the house. He didn't like that idea so I tried to be tough and just stay in bed. Ya, that didn't last long. I finally got up but Joe was up right behind me. I think he was just excited that it might finally be the night that we would be able to meet our precious little girl! We decided to watch a movie/tv at about 1 p.m. so I could move around. The contractions were worse but Joe and I were still laughing and joking about the whole experience. I kept teasing him that he should have read books because that's not what 'the coach' should say. He was making fun of me for not admitting that I was having contractions. I kept asking if we should go to the hospital yet and he would said yes. Then I would say that I could wait it out for a little bit longer because they weren't that bad. Joe would say no, let's go. By the time we would finish the conversation I would be contracting again and we would start the whole conversation over again. haha. We finally decided to go to the hospital and actually went.

2:00 a.m. When we got to the hospital they put me in the triage room to get all my vitals and to check to see how dilated I was. The nurse was ummm, how do I say it, maybe the biggest biznatch ever. I'm pretty sure she thought I was fine since Joe and I were totally laughing and joking. I guess you have to be doubled over and crying for them to believe that you are actually in pain. After I got in my gown she came in and checked me. I was dilated at a 4! I couldn't believe it and neither could she. My contractions weren't that bad. Oh and p.s. after the nurse checked me and realized I was at a 4 she was all sorts of nice and helpful.

2:45 a.m. She took us down the the maternity suite to get things started. The room was pretty much beautiful (for a hospital room). It was so nice and big. The had a little goody bag full of things for Joe to eat.

3:oo a.m. The nurse asked if I wanted to get in the jacuzzi tub and of course I said yes. How could anyone turn that down? I stayed in for about a half an hour before I got out. The doctor came in and checked me again so that I could get my epidural. I was now dilated to a 6! Really, I felt like a champ. I still didn't think my contractions were that bad but was sure I should get the epidural before it got to where I was huddled over in pain.

4:00 a.m. The nurse anesthetist came in and started the heavenly epidural. I had been nervous about the shot the closer it got. Joe kept reassuring me that it was not a big deal and it was nothing to worry about it. When the anesthetist got all setup in the room and pulled the needle out you should have seen the look on Joe's face. He apparently wasn't expecting the needle to be so big. His eyes looked like they were going to bulge out of his eye sockets. I know right, so reassuring for me :) The nurse was laughing at us since we were joking about it. She thought it was cute... tender.

5:05 a.m. Got the lovely catheter.

5:30 a.m. The doctor came in and checked me. I was dilated to a 7, 100 percent effaced, +1

6:30 a.m. Started Pitocin because I was still at a 7. They started me out at 2 units. The nurse said that they give some people up to 40 units. A while later they turned it down to 1 unit because it was working too well and I was contracting way too much.

7:50 a.m. I was finally at a 10 and could start pushing. And can I just say I loved my nurse that was there. She was so fun and joked around with us the whole time. I got a bit light headed and she gave me oxygen. I kept joking about needing it and she started making fun of me because I guess most people hate having to use it. I really did like it. It made me feel so much better. There was also a medical student in our room. She said she liked to be in our room because it was the most calm and fun. She couldn't believe I was in active labor and still joking with my husband. Apparently that isn't a routine thing.

10:00 a.m. Dr. Agrusa came in to check me to see how much the baby had dropped and to see if I had progressed at all. I hadn't. We talked about options as to what to do. He said to push for 30 more minutes to see if baby would drop any more. The baby wasn't at all stressed but he was worried that she wouldn't fit through my pelvic bone. If baby Keni would just drop a bit we could try and use the vacuum to get her out but the procedure could be risky so he would only do it once and only if the circumstances were perfect.

10:30 a.m. The doctor came back and checked to see where I was at. Not much had changed. He decided to try the vacuum one time before he made the decision to take Keni c-section. All the nurses got geared up to 'catch the baby' just in case the procedure worked. It didn't. By this time my epidural was wearing off. I could feel pretty much every single thing they did. They didn't want me to get more medicine for the pain if I had Keni vaginally so I would still be able to push.

11:01 a.m. I went to the operating room to do a c-section. A nurse anethesist got me all numbed up again. Dr. Agrusa came over and explained that he wouldn't start until I was good and numb. About 5 minutes later he said, "Can you feel this?" I could feel pressure but not pain. Apparently he was pinching me super hard. He asked again if I could feel anything but I couldn't. He used a tool this time to pinch me even harder just to be sure.

11:28 a.m. Baby Keni Paris Porter was born!

I must say that the c-section was more simple than I thought. After the doctor announced the plan I think it took them two seconds to get geared up, wheel me down to the operating room, and get the baby out. I couldn't believe how smoothly everything went. I'm glad it was just Joe and I in the room. I must say, I had a lot of fun with him and I'm so glad that we have the relationship that we do. We were so laid back the entire time and I think that's why I feel like labor wasn't that bad. He was a great 'coach'!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelsie, great story! I love it. You and Joe make the perfect team...and Keni Paris, she is sooo precious!!! I love you all.

Mom

Suzi Q said...

Wow, I am so glad you were calm and all went well. Ours was never "Dangerous" but when the epidural went off til the surgery was about 3 hours....awful. I joked with my nurses too! d

Amber said...

You're pretty much awesome! That's the best birth story I've ever heard! Congrats again!

Kaila said...

Thanks for sharing your story! Don't you love Dr. Agrusa? He is my doctor too. (And you don't have to agree with me I just really like him!) I am glad everything went well. I was at the hospital on Monday and dilated to a 4 as well. but I got sent home (boo :( ) Anyway, hope you are doing well. And that baby Keni is good for you! Can't wait for more pictures.

Dean Family said...

you guys crack me up...looks like you didn't need 'books' afterall :) i can only imagine what your christmas nights are going to be like with Keni...just like the night before she was born, im sure :)
can't wait to see you again this weekend!

Howells Fam said...

I was right, right? You didn't need labor classes, you were just fine - us nurses will tell you exactly what to do! :) Where are the pictures?? You and Ash need to get together!

The Higbees said...

Kels I loved that story!! The whole time I just kept thinkin how cute you and Joe are!! What a sweet birth story, Mine doesn't sound nearly that sweet when I tell it ha ha...

Ash said...

Aww! What a great story! I'm glad you all had a great experience and that you're all healthy! Your story brought back lots of memories for me. With my oldest, I was one of the people who got the pitocin on full-blast... With my youngest baby, I think it only got as high as 20. Anyways, I'm glad you're all healthy!