2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We finally made it to our new ward...

Yes, it's been over a month that we've lived in our new place and yes, we're just barely going to our new ward. Between stake conference, general conference, and us traveling, this has been the first opportunity we have had to go to our new ward.

I have been super excited and anxious to go. I hate being the "new" people in the ward. I hate having to stand up and introduce ourselves only so people can ask a million other questions. I've also been really excited to have some change. I've been excited to meet new people and do new things. I've been excited to get out of the family ward that is pretty much a young married ward. Our old ward probably only has 5 couples over the age of 50 I swear. The rest of the people are super young just starting families.

So-- my new ward... let me just tell you how it went down.

We pull in the parking lot and as we are parking Joe turns to me and says, "Well it looks like there are going to be some old people in this ward." As I'm giving him a funny look I notice probably 5 old people walking to the door. They don't have spouses with them so I assume they are widowed. That's exciting. Old people always give some nice perspective to a ward. After we got in the building and are sitting down in the chapel I quickly realize we are one of three couples that are under the age of 35 (that's being generous in age). I wondered if we had mistaken the church for the nursing home. I haven't lost hope yet. A few more young couples walk in late so I'm feeling a little better. The count is in and I think we are one of five couples under the age of 35 in the new ward.

During Sunday school there were two 'young' men including the teacher and a whole whopping three 'young' women. Ugh. I was really hoping I could meet some new people to hang out with.

Relief Society topped off the church experience for me. All the women were listening to the teacher when she, the teacher, asked if anyone had a comment. Of course, someone raised their hand to share an experience. About half way through the comment I hear the lady behind me say in a old person whisper (totally reminded me of G. Ruby) "Can you hear her?" The lady sitting next to her says, "No, but I never can. I don't know why I bother." The first lady madly states, still in that whisper, that when people give comments they should stand up and turn around instead of having a one-on-one conversation with the teacher. I was laughing hysterically inside. These two ladies were cracking me up. It gets better. When the poor lady who was giving the comment was done the old lady raises her hand only to suggest that when someone says something to talk louder because she can't hear. Some other lady from across the room shouts, "Turn up your hearing aid." Really? Oh my, what have I wished for by asking for some age diversity!!

Anyways it was quite the experience. The ward is very excited for some "young blood" as someone told us. I'm trying to think positive. I told Joe that at least when we have the kiddo we will be well fed. His response was, "Only if someone doesn't die that day and everyone isn't at the funeral." Sad but so true. ha ha ha.

Oh and Joe said there were 8 people in Elder's quorum. The rest of the ward goes to the high priest group. He seemed oh so excited about that.

p.s. Pictures of the new place are coming soon. Hopefully this weekend. Don't lose hope. I haven't felt like blogging until now and now I'm on a roll.

Updated after the baby-- Ya, no meals were brought. Sad. Still not enjoying the ward. Oh well. This house is only temporary. (I'm really not a Debbie-downer I promise!)

7 comments:

Jayson Michael West said...

haha! Your new ward is totally our ward now! It's sad because every sunday there is an announcement that Helen, Marge, or Blaine has passed away. And we totally have the "stand up and walk to the front of the room to talk" rule in my relief society for the same reason. Mike and I are one of 4 young couples under 55 in my ward. We're house shopping now and we're praying for a mostly young ward. Isn't it funny that you always want what you don't have? The ward has been interesting, but not all bad. Mike and I have been on some double dates with couples in their 60's and 70's. It's been a fun and interesting experience! haha

Howells Fam said...

It's a good thing that the meaning of church is the same whether the ward be filled with young or old!

Darcee said...

We were in a newly or nearly dead ward once too (in Pocatello). . . ah, the memories! One lady who was about 90 was the Sunday School chorister and she never used her hand to lead the music, she just started singing. And if she had something to say in the middle of a song, she'd just stop and start telling a story. Her favorite story to tell was about how she danced with President Benson at the academy in Preston when she was a girl. I can never sing "Never Be Late to Sunday School" without thinking of Sister Vernon!

Just wait for the bambino to arrive and those mothering old ladies will so full of unsolicited advice you'll need a book to write it all down in!

Dean Family said...

I'm sooo sorry! I know how much you were looking forward to some "young blood". I'm telling you, my ward's the best...The Larsons house is still for sale, and they're trying a shortsale... (you actually can learn alot from the old ladies, but pick the nice ones!) :) Good Luck!

ameliaharris99 said...

LOL I love the commment "Turn up your hearing aid!" That totally cracked me up! Good luck with the new ward :)

Dani said...

Hee! I was super excited to get into our new ward too....couldn't wait to meet some young girls to bike and ski with. But I ended up kind of like you...we are now the youngest couple in the ward, and probably the only couple under 40 years old...and we are two of the 30 people in the branch. I had to quickly change my attitude from going to meet some new friends to play with...to trying to contribute the best I can as the 'young blood' in the ward. :)
Good thing the church is true

Kristen said...

That sounds a lot like the ward we lived in when we lived in downtown Salt Lake... we were in the ward with all the Senior Couple Missionaries on Temple Square!

I had the same experience with the old women "whispering" that they couldn't hear - hilarious!