2017!

2017!
Hey there! Welcome to our page and thanks for stopping by. When we aren't doing "chores" you can probably find us camping, biking, going to the market, or just hanging out as a cute little family.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Lotoja


LoToJa
Written by Joepoe :)

It has always been a lifelong dream to ride Lotoja.  When I was a kid my Dad let me tag along on a varsity outing when we rode home from Jackson, to Preston.  I didn't ride the entire way, but a lot of it.  I would watch for the riders to go through town every year after that on their way to Jackson.  I don't know if my father realized (or still realizes) that by taking me on that trip when I was a kid, he set my life on the course of wanting to be a cyclist.  

In 2015 I started participating in triathlons and really enjoyed it.  But, over the winter I hurt my knee playing basketball and running was no longer my best option.  I then decided that 2016 would be the year to go for Lotoja.  I applied and I feel very lucky that I got in.  I arranged a few other raced over the summer to get me ready and started preparing.  I had a few nagging injuries over the summer, but over all I felt like I was in good shape.  Then, 4 weeks before Lotoja I wrecked and dislocated my right shoulder.  I wasn't sure I would be able to do it.  I was off the bike for 2 weeks and then started riding again somewhat.  I wasn't in the shape I wanted to be in, but I still felt I was good enough to give it a shot.  Not-to-mention whether or not my shoulder would hold up.  

The day of the race came and off I went.  It is 206 miles from Logan Utah to Jackson Wyoming.  There are aid stations many places along the way to re-fuel and get water refills.  Kelsie, Terry, Pam, and the kids were an awesome support crew!  I knew I had to take it easy to be able to finish and I just had the mentality of having a relaxed enjoyable day.  I'm glad I did, because it would have been a miserable day if not.  I went faster than I should have into Montpelier and so I was fairly tired for the climb up Geneva Summit.  After I got to Star Valley and had my requested hamburger, I felt pretty good.  When I was in Alpine I decided to try a 5 hour energy.  Wow, did that work wonders.  In no time I was pushing hard a feeling great.  At Hoback Junction I took another one, and sprinted the last 20 miles to the finish line.  I just made it in 12 hours total time and 18 mph average (for moving time only).  The support crew wasn't planning on me being there so quickly and were still at the hotel.  They felt bad, but I didn't mind.  I was just happy to be off of the bike.  It is funny, but I couldn't sleep very well that night.  I think it was the 2 5-hour energy drinks I took.  I'll say I was sure hungry though!  I really enjoyed the day and would like to do it again.




 I started 1 hour and 20 min after the first wave.






This is the award for the triple crank.  For completing Lotoja, the Iron Lung, and Rockwell Relay.

No comments: